Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Snood??

Yesterday, as I was holding a little piece of netting, Sunshine approached me wondering what I was doing with it.

"I think it would make a cute jellyfish craft. We can add ribbon and other decorations."
"Oh no, Mommy. This would make a great snood."
"A what?"
"A snood." She then grabs it out of my hand and proceeds to put it on her head.
"What is a snood?"
"Women wore them on their heads in the 1950's."
"Oh, hmm, you learn something new everyday."
Next, Peanut walks in, so I ask her.
"Do you know what a snood is?"
"Oh yeah- In the 1950's, woman wore them."



There you have it. My six and eight year old kids have a better vocabulary than their Mom who happens to have a teaching degree!

I think they said they learned it from Word Girl on PBS. So of course I had to research it online and sure enough- it is what they said it is, although most sites I read said the 40's- maybe they were worn in the 50's as well. 

So, am I the only one who never heard of a snood?

Enjoy your weekend!

Jen

ps.  Don't forget to enter my giveaway- Wii -Jumpstart Get Moving Family Fitness!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, ya learn something new everyday....that is just WONDERFUL!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

I laughed out loud at this post because I've seen them before but called them "hair nets" and I thought your story meant Snood the computer game -- a game my MIL got my 7 year old hooked on while we were visiting them in Texas this summer -- so I was trying to figure out how you would make that kind of a Snood out of a piece of netting! LOL!!

Chels said...

I've never heard of a snood! Obviously some PBS Kids shows are very informational! Cute that your girls were so matter-of-fact about it!

zobars said...

now that is a new word for my vocab too. thanks for teaching us little one.

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom