Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How to Party Strawberry Shortcake Style










Strawberry Shortcake- remember her?

Well, if you have kids, you know that she has made a comeback. She is a bit more hip than she was in our day, but she's still the super sweet girl who tries her "berry" best to get along with everyone.

Then:


Today:


Well, how could I resist such a girl being quite a goody-goody myself! Some of the things that I adore would make others cringe. Anyways, I passed on my love for Strawberry Shortcake to my daughters. Sunshine had a Strawberry Shortcake party when she was 3 and now Peanut chose Strawberry Shortcake for her most recent birthday- the big 5. I thought that it would be fun to share a couple of ideas (or more than a couple)-just in case you're having your own Strawberry Shortcake party- now or in the future!

Decorations

Pink balloons a must! I hung them in bunches like a flower and put little strawberries on them that I made out of construction paper.

Strawberry Shortcake posters from the dollar store! (economical and cute!)

Strawberry Shortcake pillows and blanket. (made with love by Grammy)

Strawberry Shortcake themed tablecloth- luckily I saved Sunshine's, so I didn't have to buy a new one.

Games

Pin the strawberry on Strawberry Shortcake's hat. (Strawberry version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.) I made a hat out of poster board or you could use a picture of Strawberries hat and paper strawberries for them to tape onto the hat.

Strawberry, Strawberry, Strawberry Shortcake! (Duck, Duck, Goose) The kids run if they are tagged Shortcake.

Strawberry hunt- hide little strawberries- made from poster board or print out clip art and paste to construction paper.

Other activities:
A Strawberry Shortcake video is great for when the guests first arrive as they wait for the other children to arrive. I found a cute video where the characters where actually having a tea party.(for only $5) Also, great for getting the kids into the theme of the party!



Craft- We painted themed window sun-catchers. Another steal- 4 for a $1 at the local dollar store.

I also made little booklets for the kids to color. This way half of the group colored while the other half worked on their craft. Less hectic this way.

Festive Food
Tea sandwiches made with different berry flavors. I cut them out with a flower cookie cutter.

Tea cookies- raspberry and apricot flavored.

Fruit of course: Strawberries and other fruit with dip.

Cupcakes made with strawberry icing. I topped mine with little pics that I put Strawberry Shortcake stickers on.

Beverages: Berry juice served in a tea pot and little tea cups.

This was so much fun and I believe even more fun for the 10 little sweeties who had a Strawberry Shortcake Tea to celebrate Peanut's 5th birthday. (She thanked me with a hug and whispered in my ear: "Mom, you're the best!" Sniffle, sniffle.)

Have a "berry" great day! Couldn't control myself!

Jen

2 comments:

Lynnie said...

Cute! As my kids get older I realize that I need to incorporate more games into their parties so that there's less general running amok! Treasure hunts are perfect, and I love the Strawberry Strawberry Shortcake!

Preschool Playbook said...

Sounds like you guys had a GREAT time! Well thought out too.

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom