Monday, April 20, 2009

Discover Rocks and Minerals!

We had the most fun exploring land and some of its natural resources- rocks and minerals. To motivate the kids, I started the unit with a rock walk. My curious kids collected a variety of rocks while we explored the neighborhood. We also discussed how rocks and minerals are used as a natural resource and looked for examples of such during our walk.
Enjoy coming into our home and taking a look at the fun we had with Rocks and Minerals. Activities included mineral hunting, breaking open Geodes, collecting soil samples, reading books, and more!


Sunshine exploring her special rocks


Peanut exploring her discoveries




The girls couldn't help but be creative with their rocks. This is what I found at their work stations.




"I'm goin' on a mineral hunt..."



>

"I'm cracking open my first Geode. It was quite the disappointment-no crystals."

(I would recommend buying more than one Geode to increase your chances of getting crystals. We did it a couple of weeks later and she found her crystals!)


Well, Sunshine just being herself.


Rock Art (I've always loved painting rocks when I was a child. I remember trying to sell them to the neighbors.)


RESOURCES:


Eyewitness Workbooks: Rocks and Minerals
by Helen Whittaker


Magic School Bus Inside the Earth (Magic School Bus Series)
by Joanna Cole, Gary Ed. Cole, Bruce Degen (Illustrator)

A couple of items I borrowed from my own Usborne inventory! Perk to selling awesome books!





Have fun exploring rocks and minerals with your kids!

Jen

8 comments:

Preschool Playbook said...

What a great unit you are doing with them. I am sure they are having a ball with all the great rocks and minerals. They can find these so fascinating. Plus, you have to love those magnifying glasses. Have fun.

The Blonde Duck said...

I had a whole rock box when I was a kid! And I had that Miss Frizzle book! Do they have any cavern areas ya'll can tour where you live? We have them down here and they rock! (Bad pun, I know...)

Rebekah said...

My sister and I painted rocks and tried to sell them to neighbors when we were about... 5 and 8 I think. How very cute we must have been!

Christy Killoran said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I loved reading this post.

Lynnie said...

I love the faces they made! Very creative girls you've got there!

kw said...

We are learning about rocks and minerals now. I am going to use your ideas. They are brilliant! I love your super cute pictures.

(V.Kerr) School Time Adventures said...

What a simple, easy and fun activity! We will need to go on a rock hunt now and really explore the rocks we find.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

So great. My son loved their rock faces!! Thanks for sharing.

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom