Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rainbows!

Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a fascination with rainbows. The beauty and appreciation of rainbows has still stayed with me! In my classroom, I would display large rainbows both student and teacher-made. Over the years, I've also taken photographs of rainbows that I've seen in the sky. Yesterday, I was excited to share a rainbow experiment with my daughters. They were more interested in playing in the sandbox than making rainbows. But maybe your little one(s) will enjoy it, so I decided to share it anyways!

Reflecting Rainbows
(from 365 Ways to a Smarter Preschooler)

Materials:
-small, unbreakable mirror
-glass of water

Directions:
1. Have your child place the glass of water in direct sunlight.
2. Next, have your child place the mirror halfway in the glass of water.
3. By tilting and or rotation, you can catch the sunlight which will be refracted
though the water to create a beautiful rainbow!

Check out another fun rainbow activity below!!

Paint a Rainbow

Materials:
Large roll paper
Poster paint - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet

I did this with a whole class of Kindergartners and the results were adorable!
Make each color (arc) of the rainbow with the children's painted hands. I had a bucket of water close by and a towel for drying.

Book Suggestion for Colors: Dog's Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
My daughters love this book! It is about a dog who starts out his day with one black spot on his ear, but as he goes about his day, he gets pretty messy. This book is also great for counting.

If you have any rainbow activities that you'd like to share. Please comment!!

No comments:

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom