Thursday, February 23, 2012

5 Fun Pattern Activities

Patterns can be found everywhere in our world including music, math, and art!  There are so many fun ways to share patterns with kids.  We discovered this wonderful book- Pattern Fish by Trudy Harris.  It was enjoyed by both my toddler and 2nd grader.  Fun and interactive! Bubble-bubble-pop...


1. Create colorful pattern fish using stickers, markers, or crayons.  Great creative thinking activity.

fish printable

2.  Using colored fish manipulatives or goldfish crackers, have your child create patterns.  AB pattern- yellow, red, yellow, red... or ABBA green, yellow, yellow, green. Our crafts N things used dappers to create fish patterns- awesome idea!
3. At education.com, I found the article Preschool Math: Exploring Patterns.  Many wonderful ideas!  One of my favorite is Movement Patterns- jump, skip, jump, skip..... What  a fun way to get moving and teach patterns at the same time!

4. Make a colored pasta or cereal(fruit loops) pattern necklace.

5.  This pattern snake activity caught my eye on Pinterest! (mess for less)

Happy Patterning with your little one!
Jen

4 comments:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Thank you so much for highlighting my pattern snakes. We love making patterned necklaces with fruit loops too! Vicky from Mess For Less

Heather's Heart said...

I love that book! Thank you for sharing such great ideas! My kiddos loved doing patterns with the rainbow goldfish crackers.

I am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

MaryAnne said...

What a great collection of activities! I love those pattern snakes from Mess For Less =)

silly eagle books said...

found it! I put it on my list! thank you!! :)

vanessa

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom