Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fun with Tangrams!


With freezing temperatures and lots of snow, it is good to have a few things on hand to occupy the kiddos so that they don't go stir crazy. (actually the truth is so mom doesn't go crazy!) One of the things the girls have been enjoying are tangrams. Tangrams are colorful shapes that your child can create pictures with by combining the different sized shapes.(for a more exact definition, see origin below) Spacial reasoning, problem solving,geometry, and creative thinking are just a few skills that the children can acquire from this simple activity.

Peanut enjoys being creative and making her own pictures, whereas my Sunshine girl likes to be challenged by the pictures that come with the tangrams. There are a variety of objects to make such as a snake, boat, person, or cat. The pictures can be challenging for a younger child to duplicate.

You can create your own set of tangrams, but I found mine for a whopping $1 at my local Dollar Tree Store. It has been worth all 100 pennies!

Great Resources:

Tangram Puzzle Printouts
Tangram Pattern
Tangram Game: PBS Kids
Tangram Origin
Foam Magnetic Tangrams


Have fun creating and problem solving!


Jen

1 comment:

Preschool Playbook said...

I love tanagramms, probably more than my own children. I got a set once for our home and spent more time putting them together than my kids. I think their fun. Also thanks for the kind words on my "opinion" post. I always get nervous writing those kind of articles, but they are the ones that keep me up at night. Also, I haven't had a chance yet, but I am going to check out the resources you gave me.

Support Creative and Curious Kids!

Support Creative and Curious Kids! by exploring the ads that interest you found below each post. Thank you!!
Share/Save/Bookmark
Custom Search
Photobucket
Featured at Make and Takes
Classified: Mom